Friday, October 15, 2004

Eating Large in Fontana!

On my days off I have a secret passion - I love to cook. Call it a hobby. But I really do.

Riverside County has a great work schedule, called 9/80, where you get every other Friday off. On those days, like today, I love to whip up a special dinner. Heck, on all my days off, you can always find me either grilling something on the BBQ or studying a new recipe in the kitchen. It's fun. My beer-can chicken is legendary and my hickory-smoked ham isn't bad either.

So I thought I'd share this evening's menu, for the less-culinary inclined. It's Italian, of course.

Bistecca Pizzaiola (in English that means, Steak: Pizza-maker style.)

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and brown the steaks, on both sides, adding salt and pepper to taste. Remove the steaks and set aside for later.

Then scatter two large, minced, cloves of garlic into the pan and cook for about a minute. Add tomatoes, oregano, a pinch of red pepper, and salt to taste. For the tomatoes I use two 14.5 oz cans of Italian style diced tomatoes. Bring this sauce to a simmer and cook until the gravy starts to bubble. Return the steaks to the sauce. Cook until you like the way they look.

Serve with Garlic/Butter Pasta:

Get a pot and put some water in it. Let it boil for 4-10 minutes and put raw pasta in it. Let it cook till soft, drain the water, and put the pasta in a bowl.

Get a pan and put 1/3 cup of butter in it. Let it melt then add a drop of milk to the melted butter.

Add one minced clove of garlic and mix it all together. Then mix sauce with pasta.

In Italian families, pasta is usually the first item on the menu, followed by the steak, but do what you gotta do.

Buon Appetitio!

No comments: