Sunday, July 06, 2014

California Grilled Chicken

I'm back!  After an absence of a couple of years, I've decided to return to blogging.  Mostly recipes. but occasionally the odd note about the news. I've pretty much sworn off politics - mostly because of my blood pressure, but also because of the incredible stupidity of the average voter

So, I'm mostly going to be putting up recipes, which relaxes me and I cook seldom enough that I really enjoy the few times I do it.  Today's recipe is something I just made up (well, it's a variation of a recipe I can't find, but there's a bunch of them out there.)  At any rate, I call it California Grilled Chicken.

  • Five ounces of Worcester sauce (Lea & Perrins is best; lesser sauces all seem to have sodium benzoate, which seems to have some health concerns associated with it).
  • Some cilantro
  • Four lobes of garlic
  • One large lemon
  • four tablespoons of olive oil.
  • Six large skinless chicken breasts.
Mince the cilantro as fine as you like it - I tend to leave the leaves pretty much intact, but that's only because I like the way it looks.  Mince the garlic.  Using a juicer, juice the lemon and remove the seeds.  Grate some lemon zest.  Put the cilantro, garlic, lemon juice (and the pulp) and zest into a mixing bowl.  Add the Worcester and olive oil. Mix it up!

Marinate the chicken at least four hours.  The way I do this is using large Ziploc bags, three chicken breast to a bag.  Pour half on the marinade into one bag and the rest into the other.  Put them in the refrigerator and let 'em sit.

Fire up your grill.  I use a gas grill as I like to be able to fire it up without messing around with charcoal, lighter fluid, that sort of thing.  Also, I have better temperature control with a gas grill.  At any rate, all grills are different - you want to cook the chicken all the way through without drying it out. I use a low heat and check it constantly.

We cut the cooked chicken into long strips and put it on salad.  Mary likes to put a sesame seed dressing, mandarin oranges, sliced almonds and egg noodles on hers - I prefer Italian dressing, red onion, olives and egg noodles. (I like egg noodles).  

And there you have it.  This a good eat on those blistering days when the temperature is over 100 degrees and you really don't want to turn on the oven. 


No comments: