Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Whole Wheat Banana Craisin Walnut Bread


I've been sick the last four or five days and only today was I feeling any better, so I decided to do some baking. My breakfasts are pretty spartan these days (thanks to my doctor and private nurse who have me watching my weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar, etc., etc.), so I have a recipe for whole wheat bran muffins that generally make up my morning meal. They're tasty, moist and have no processed sugar in them, so I'll cook up a dozen or so every couple of weeks and alternate between them and the oatmeal and cholesterol fighting cereals that you can find every where these days.

At any rate, I had some wheat flour left over so I experimented a little and came up with a recipe for whole-wheat banana craisin walnut bread that everyone liked, so I thought I'd share it here. It's a fairly healthy recipe and the craisins give it a holiday taste without being cloying. And it must have been somewhat good - my kids ate it like there was no tomorrow and both loafs disappeared overnight!

  • 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 ½ cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 to 4 medium sized bananas)
  • 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
  • ½ craisins
  • ½ walnuts
  • ½ cup plain, non-fat yogurt
  • ½ cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product (I told you I was watching my cholesterol) or 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla.


  1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 350 ° F. Grease two 8x4-inch loaf pans.
  2. Stir together all ingredients and spoon into pans.
  3. Bake 50 - 60 minutes or until you can run a knife down the middle and have it come out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.

The long list of ingredients makes it sound like a long recipe, but it's pretty simple - after all, I can do it!

No comments: